Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

morning sickness - what's your advice?

If I had a quarter for every day I threw up with my first 2 pregnancies - I'd probably have somewhere around $80.00. And, maybe if I were eighty dollars richer - I would have felt better.

This pregnancy, I have thrown up far less - but felt far, far worse. I am nauseous from the moment I wake up, until the moment I fall asleep. I consistently walk around with a bad taste in my mouth and what feels like a working dryer in my stomach.

Here's a list of things that I have tried:

protein before bed - this works for making it so I am not vomiting immediately upon waking. After that, my protein intake does little to keep me highly functional throughout the day
frequent, small meals - this is easier said than done, when every time I think about food I want to cry myself to sleep
sea bands - ha! I thought these would work because they cured my motion sickness while on a cruise I took earlier this year. Apparently, that's where their helpfulness ends
carbonation - this is my favorite. Root Beer makes me burp, which makes me feel better. Unfortunately, soda is also bad for pregnant women. A win/lose
peppermint - this only works while I'm currently ingesting it. I don't like tea and I feel silly walking around with peppermint in my mouth all day
preggo pops - the taste made me want to vomit when I wasn't pregnant
a hot bath - in the once a decade that an opportunity for me to take a hot bath occurs, it works beautifully. Once again, however, only for the duration that I am in the water
crackers - I ate an entire bag of crackers today and all I felt was incredibly hungry

I pray that one of these solutions works for you. I've found a combination of all of them does me
okay. With the assistance of Zofran injections, I have moved from "low-functioning" to "decently crabby."

I don't mean to complain, but I am pregnant - so it's partially a rite of passage. I also have accepted my fate as just being
one of those women who gets sick when she's gestating. I'm thankful that, with each pregnancy, it has gotten easier. I just don't like it being there at all. I don't know what person enjoys being nauseous, though. So...

For all the women, like me, who feel they have tried everything and nothing works - I ask of you, ladies, what tips and tricks do you have up your sleeves to combat that pesky "morning" sickness?

4 comments:

  1. My mom was sick her whole pregnancy, for each of her 4 pregnancies. The only thing that helped her was laying flat on her back. Not super easy when you already have kids to take care of.

    I saw an episode of Myth Busters where they try out a bunch of homeopathic remedies for nausea and the only one that was proven effective was ginger tablets. Not sure if they are safe for pregnancy, but ginger ale worked wonders for me. Of coarse you have to buy specialty ginger ale with real ginger in it. Canada dry won't cut it.

    Good luck! Nausea is miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was discussing this with some folks on Twitter because I have heard amazing things about ginger, but I HATE the taste of ginger. I'll have to call my midwives and ask if the tablets are safe.

    One tip I forgot is pickles. Maybe it's just me, but pickles make me feel better

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that if I drank water and ate breakfast as soon as I woke up in the morning, I would be nausea-free until 6:30pm. At that point, snacking and making myself burp helped me feel better for the rest of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh! I hate the worst all day sickness with my 2nd pregnancy. I was the the whole entire pregnancy and was unable to gain any weight, from pre pregnancy, and weighes 3 pounds less then pre preg weight the day I delivered. It sucked!! I found nothing to calm the sickness, I would wake up in the middle of the night and barely make it to the bathroom to throw up, it was horrible so I feel your pain. I hope you find something that works soon!

    Hope you enjoy your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete